[hackerspaces] Inter-Hackerspace Cooperation and Membership

Adam D Bachman adam.bachman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 23:15:43 CET 2010

Heh, was just about to post my violent agreement with enki's post.

In short: no rules where the cost will outweigh the benefit. Corollary: No
painting the bikeshed.

I see you're looking for something very different, though. "When can [a
non-traditional member] vote at [some hackerspace]" is heavy and deserves
codification for those spaces that believe shared privilege should go so
deep. I trust the people on Node's membership list because I see their name
next to mine on the membership list. At a minimum, I can verify that they
have as much interest as me in the success of the operation, and therefore
their vote has equivalent weight to mine.

Without $$ or location in common, though, trust (and verification) is more
difficult. I'd say at Node, the requirements for the type of shared
membership you describe would be the same as for any other type of
membership. But, of course, I speak for myself, not the space.

Also, our keys are expensive and a pain in the ass to duplicate, so no one
gets a key unless they're vetted and paid.

- Adam
http://baltimorenode.org