[hackerspaces] Guifi.net FFTF (fiber from the farm)

Blackhold blackholdmailer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 08:51:27 CET 2010

Hi guys,
I would like to show you one of the projects we have here in
Catalonia, it is called guifi.net and is a open an collaborative
network (we also try that non technical users will be able to install
his/her wifi antenna). Iniatially it was born as a wifi project (and
it continues as it atm with about 11300 active nodes) in a rural area
'cause internet provider decided that put internet in rural areas was
not competitive.
Last months we are working on serving fiber optic from the farm (FFTF)
asking to our government the possibility of pass to put our own fiber
or simply use the fiber that we have pay with taxs on building a road
with public money. It is a hard work to do, but possible, pure
social/tech hack!!! :D

We have just presented our project to European Digital Schedule[1]. If
someone is interested to this project I could offer the help you need
and explain what you want to know about this project.

The website of the project is obvious, but for whom wants bracketed
links, here you have[2] :D

Happy hacking :)

PS: tetalab I have some days free, maybe I could come to see your
projects, your super place and we talk about these things :)

[1] http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/events/cf/dae1009/item-display.cfm?id=5490
[2] http://guifi.net

- Blackhold
http://marsupi.org
~> conquerint l'aire, alliberant les ones.