[hackerspaces] hackaday HORROR

webmind webmind at puscii.nl
Sun Aug 22 02:33:49 CEST 2010

On 08/21/2010 08:32 PM, Koen Martens wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 02:38:02PM +0200, webmind wrote:
>> On 08/20/2010 01:10 PM, asbesto wrote:
>>>

>>>           http://yfrog.com/5fscientp
>>>

>>> this is totally unsane
>>> ======================
>>>
>>> is this crap from google ads? if so, we have to strongly
>>> reconsider using it at all.
>>
>> I noticed the increase of scientology advertising on google earlier yes.
>> I sent them a complaint but got an automated reply.
>>
>> I'd never used ads, so can't quit either though, but I can't say I like
>> google 'supporting' scientology.
>
> They're not supporting, they're just selling ad-space. And if they were to be asked to
> remove them, where would it end? Next thing, the christians want ads about evolutionary
> literature removed, and what have you.
>
> Anyway, google is evil, live with it or use an adblocker like the rest of us do :)

note the '', in a sense they are providing infrastructure for
scientology, that's a form of support. even though I'd asume they pay
for it.

And what's with the personalised viewpoint? I'm not complaining about
seeing them (as I tried to state I don't see 'm). I'm stating I don't
like what they do. I don't see children getting molested by parents, or
am (directly) affected by it, I still oppose it. You don't have to be
directly involved in order dislike someones actions. Do you?

and google even though considered by a niche to be evil is considered a
trust-worthy source. What would you think about google fascilitating
phishing? Or something else that's more obviously illegal? It would
perhaps portrait google more as a fraud or your regular major company
who's interest is only money (in the short-term). Independent wether
this is true, I'd still don't like organisations which function like
that and do not think they are a healthy element of a society.

w.

--
GPG-Key: 4096R/FCF154AE 2008-10-19 [expires: 2012-10-18]
Key fingerprint: 0506 976E 2346 53B4 A628  EC33 E23D 16EE FCF1 54AE