[hackerspaces] Hackerspace law: unincorporated association

Christopher J. Pilkington cjp at 0x1.net
Wed Aug 4 21:32:50 CEST 2010

My apologies if this is off topic, if so, point me in the right
direction.  Persons outside common law countries/states will
likely find this less than relevant due to our quirky legal
system; my apologies in advance.

Syracuse Innovators Guild (Syracuse, New York) is in the process
of getting some sort of organization together so that we can get
a bank account, collect dues and lease some space.  We have
verbal committment from about a dozen potential members.

Someone had mentioned that it might not be necessary for us to
form a Corporation or LLC to get started; it might be possible
to just form an unincorporated association.

I was wondering if anyone on the list had considered this
possibility, and what they had found.  The more information I
and the other "core members" have would be helpful in our
decision making.

Personally, I feel that the less paperwork I need to file with
the government, the better.

Also, someone had mentioned to be at HOPE that there was a
hackerspace formation primer floating around, if anyone knows
about this document, send me the URI, etc.

Thanks,
-cjp