[hackerspaces] one question

tetsu yatsu tetsuharu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 23:45:12 CET 2009

It's an experiment. You could do your solo hacking at home, either
completely under the radar, or published in a person blog not likely to get
much traffic. Hackerspaces are often public, nonprofit, community-serving
institutions. I found it liberating to finally have a legitimate front that
held my views on work ethic, labor, security, etc.

It's a good way to support the community that made you and get credibility
for the cool things you do spread out into the 'blogosphere'.

It's honestly not a huge commitment in most cases. $30-$50/mo on the low
end, $100/mo on the high end. If the members consider their space a primary
workshop, maybe $100+/mo, but a lot of us just want a place to hang out
without being accosted by mall security or being ticketed for having one of
the lights above our license plate out.

If you decide to join, you'll probably see why we're all gung-ho about it ;)