[hackerspaces] Working on setting up my space

tetsu yatsu tetsuharu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 01:04:44 CEST 2009

The way I understand it, most accountants will misunderstand the purposes of
hackerspaces. It's easy to get derailed and fall in line to an S-Corp or
some other model of organization if you get registered as one and read all
the paperwork. The hackerly thing to do, it seems, would be to understand
all of them and either choose the best fitting one, the one with the most
perks, or the funniest.

They will say 501(c)7 because they think we're just a social group. In my
understanding, by registering as a 501(c)3 you insinuate that we want
respect as a scientific, educational organization with the surprising goal
of getting Hackers to interface politely and helpfully with the public. I
was wondering last week if I should buy everyone labcoats, since we're super
serious scientists. My answer was... yes, totally.

I feel kind of bad, trying to push the social easiness of hackerdom into the
legal realm of science, when scientists have tried so hard to get government
and corporate respect. Do I want to pull science back down to humanity, or
business?

You'll definitely qualify as a 501(c)7, but whatever you decide to register
as is your foothold into manipulating the groundwork of civilization to
better respect human rights. It's like a half-serious joke, like the
Directors At Large, lol.

Maybe that's a bit heavy. If so, nevermind.

In any case... do other 501(c)'s get tax exemptions? I'm just acheing to
spam banks for donations!