[hackerspaces] Working on setting up my space

Adam D Bachman adam.bachman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 18:58:57 CEST 2009

I stand corrected. It was not my intention to forcefully modify your
meaning. I should've said, "what I'm hearing is, ...". I was seeking
clarification on what seemed like a strict interpretation of Hackerspace
doctrine (which we're both aware doesn't actually exist).
> Tom hasn't stated what he's doing yet. So please no snap judgements

That was my point, too. I think we're on the same page.

> he will have problems getting certain types of funding if his focus is on
education

I (and to my knowledge, B'more Node) haven't pursued direct funding from
charitable organizations, so I don't have experience in this area. Do you
mean that if he has a focus on education and *is* a 501c3 he will have
problems, or has a focus on education and *is not* a 501c3 he will have
problems?

> if people are respectful of each other and improve the community around
them through collaboration of these things that they are a hackerspace or
not

Yes. This is pretty simply what I believe "hackerspace" to mean. Our bylaws
say, "Baltimore Node Corporation seeks to create and sustain an environment
that promotes the creative use of technology for the benefit of art, science
and culture." and we go about that by (paraphrased) "establishing and
maintaining a physical space, supporting a nurturing community of makers
devoted to education and collaboration, empowering members to create,
experiment and invent; encouraging and supporting the sharing of research;
and actively engaging with the community." -
http://wiki.baltimorenode.org/index.php?title=Bylaws

My point was that IRS considerations (especially since they're strictly USA
centered) don't have anything to do with what is or isn't a hackerspace.

My apologies, again, for jumping before you said "boo".

- Adam