[hackerspaces] status of this list

Matt Joyce mdjoyce at gmail.com
Thu May 14 22:41:38 CEST 2009

I would encourage eric to bring forth his talking points.  If he's put a
great deal of thought into this maybe he can start us off.

  I have some immediate concerns that I've already mentioned.  No ad hominem
attacks.  Which means you can't detract weight from another persons argument
based upon personal attacks or attacks concerning their situation and
background.  Another good one to be weay of is straw man attacks.  Using non
relevant arguments to bolster ones own arguments.

  A few examples:

  "Your points on moderations are void because you sent a troll email!"
  Could be seen as a straw man argument.

  "Your hackerspace is new or smaller than ours and therefore of lesser
importance.  Thus your argument is weaker!"
  Situational Ad Hominem attack

  "I am immediately discounting your opinion because I believe you have not
thought about the topic enough."
  Blind ignorance.

  "Childish bullshit!"
  Maybe using curse words and other derrogatory language should be
disallowed

  "I am king of the hackerspaces!"
   Maybe absurd troll emails should not be allowed.

  "You said germany was the size of ohio and are therefore wrong in your
anti-political stance!"
   Ad-hominem attack.

   "Politics is an integral part of hackerspaces."
   Be accepting of other viewpoints than your own.  Don't assume yourself to
be correct.

Just a few examples and ideas.

Regards,

   Matt