[hackerspaces] status of this list

druid at stonedcoder.org druid at stonedcoder.org
Thu May 14 23:03:44 CEST 2009

Alright, here's a rough draft, some of the metrics would require a quick
analysis on a monthly basis of number of unique active email addresses to
re-evaluate number of people required to respond to different email types
to form a quorum:

1) these guidelines are designed to be respected and agreed upon by the
majority, not all, with the assumption not everyone will agree on any
given set of guidelines

2) the purpose of these guidelines is to provide a way of self moderating
a vibrant community, which has no formal moderator

3) it is assumed that there is an administrator capable of
removing/blocking individual email addresses from posting in extreme
cases

4) the majority agree that there are sometimes threads that are for some
reason worth filtering from the group discussion

5) the majority agree that the common reasons for this are either
intentional trolling, attempts to garner favor with the group by an
individual aka self agrandizement, religious and policitcal issues, gender
issues portrayed negatively, etc...

6) the majority agree that even after a thread has been deemed worth
moving or filtering, NO EMAIL FROM THAT THREAD WILL BE DELETED FROM THE
FORUM HISTORY EVER, OR ANY TOPIC BANNED OUTRIGHT, SO AS TO PREVENT
OUTRIGHT CENSORSHIP

7) when a thread or individual is determined to be in the wrong, any list
participant may feel free to send a message with the string "SUGGEST
THREAD MOVE:" prepended to the subject line of the email

8) If 3 or more people second the suggestion by replying with the string
"seconded" or similar, then the people wishing to participate further in
the specific thread are expected to move to another forum, either personal
emails or another list

9) if the topic continues beyond that point, the group will attempt to
formally identify the instigator who refuses to respect the groups wishes

10) upon formal identification of the instigator, a new thread may be
created, with the subject line "MOVE TO CENSOR: <email_addy>" where
email_addy is the address of the instigator identifies in guideline 9

11) If 8 people approve move to censor, then the administrators will be
asked to remove the individuals email address from the list subscription

12) it is recognized that the individual is free to join with a new email
address, and is welcome to do so, hopefully with a more community oriented
mindset

13) in the case of extreme instigation (trolling) by an individual, the
list administrator will be asked to temporarily make the list require
admin approal for new users to join, until an appropriate period not
exceeding 2 weeks has passed

14) in the case of claimed subjugation of an individuals account by a
third party trolling as the individual, the administrators may be asked to
allow an email address formally removed from list membership be allowed to
be re-added, this will require some reasonable proof the individuals email
address was subjugated

Thoughts?

-Eric