[hackerspaces] Thread which I nominate for death: "Hacking the Spaces: A critical acclaim of what was, is and could be a hackerspace "

Hellekin O. Wolf (/tmp/lab) hellekin at hackerspaces.org
Mon May 11 21:53:13 CEST 2009

On Mon 2009-05-11 at 12:45:45 -0700, 3ric Johanson wrote:
> A reply to myself, and nobody in general:
>
> It would seem that I generated even more mail on this subject  - - for
> that, I am sorry.
>
> My mail was not designed to be a threat or ultimatum - - just a simple
> statement of fact.

*** Well, the problem with text-only is the lack of bandwidth. I'm glad you
took the time to make to cooled-down reply.

> Yes, there is technology which can help manage inboxes, just as I can
> offer earplugs to those who find me standing in the corner of their
> hackerspace shouting "I have the hots for RMS" on a megaphone.

*** I'm sorry if I offended you. That said, you can't compare a thread on a
mailing-list with a megaphone in a public space. Earplugs wouldn't make it
less annoyable, but mail filters actually cut the thread from annoying you
if so you decide.

> I find this hackerspaces.org collective to be amusing - - - taking a step
> back, we are really just a bunch of 'artists collectives', only more
> bit twiddling and less canvas covering.  What brings us together is the
> internet- this website and mailing list.
>
> We all have different goals.  The problems we face in each of our spaces
> are likely very similar - - social problems, finances, marketing, internal
> politics, etc.
>
> It is my general belief that we should share tribal knowledge about topics
> which we have in common.

*** Agreed.

> A topic which I would love to raise at some point in the near future - -
> 'children in hackerspaces'.

*** Indeed, that's an awesome topic. Last year at HSF I brought my 5yo
step-daughter. She enjoyed it a lot, especially as there were some funny
touch devices that were producing funky images.

Take care,

==
hk

--
 |_/H\_|     http://hackerspaces.org/                | |o| |
 [_xSx_]     irc://irc.freenode.net/hackerspaces     | | |o|