[hackerspaces] Starting a Hackerspace - Buffalo NY

Christopher J. Pilkington cjp at 0x1.net
Mon May 11 20:09:09 CEST 2009

I'm interested in what steps you're taking to "get the word out".

I made attempts although limited to try to get the word out in
Syracuse, but the only people I found that were interested were only
looking for co-working space.  It seems that the hackerspace concept
is lost in this city, as most people really are just clinging onto
their employment.

Have you had similar responses?

The problem with Syracuse, and likely other similar cities in the
North America is sprawl.  The city itself has lost over 50% of its
population since its peak, most of which has moved to the suburbs and
rural areas around the city.  This has also occurred in the commercial
real estate, businesses prefer a nice shiny new office building 10 km
outside of town with ample parking rather than an older building with
no parking.

I'm not sure if Buffalo has suffered the same fate to the same extent.

Ultimately, if there is a substantial community of individuals
interested in this sort of thing, geography/socioeconomics can be
overcome, but Syracuse has been brain-drained for a long time now,
there is little growth here in tech.