[hackerspaces] Kids and Hackerspaces

Bryce Tugwell btugwell at fusestudios.com
Mon May 11 23:04:25 CEST 2009

One point worth mentioning on this front is insurance - which can be had,
and it's worth looking into. I am part of group that does and
tinker/technology camp for several weeks each summer in the UK - albeit the
UK isn't the US (which is where I live most of the year) but even here
insurance for this kind of activity with kids is available. We have roughly
120 participants - and host our summer program(s) at a private boarding
school. About 75% of our attendees board. (http://www.technologycamp.co.uk/)

For many hackerspaces, having a youth program - and or summer camp of this
kind can be a great way to bring in real revenue for the organization.
Generally insurance companies want to know what sort of classes are being
taught - and in a general sense what the risks are for each set of
activities. The Camp remains economically viable even after appropriate
insurance is acquired.

Bryce Tugwell
Wyoming Tinker Guild
http://www.tinkerguild.com

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Aldert Hazenberg <aldert at rotz.org> wrote:

> On May 11, 2009, at 9:45 PM, 3ric Johanson wrote:
>
> > A topic which I would love to raise at some point in the near future
> > - -
> > 'children in hackerspaces'.
>
> Do not eat them.
>
> Aldert.
>
> --
>
> Aldert J.B.P. Hazenberg
> Email   : aldert at rotz.org
> Phone   : voip/skype on request
> IM      : several on request
>
> The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
> discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."
>
>     -- Isaac Asimov (1920-1992)
>
> The fundamental problems in IT security are no longer about technology.
>
>     -- Bruce Schneier

Bryce Tugwell
Creative Professional: Web Designer & Online Strategist

Contact Details:
http://www.brycetugwell.tel

Office: 703.531.8862
Mobile: 703.622.5989