[hackerspaces] hacklabs.org

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Sat Apr 25 12:35:40 CEST 2009

Hi Jaromil,

This is an observation I think a lot of people in hackerspaces made
recently. By listing themselves on websites like hackerspaces.org, these
places abandon their "off the charts" property. I think this is a choice
that must be consciously made. I don't think that this is necessarily a bad
thing. I remember talking with someone at the CCC Berlin who explained to
me that they managed to get a real recognition (including by government
officials who get their opinions on subjects such as privacy (even if they
often dismiss it afterwards)) but at the cost of being frowned upon by more
"hardcore underground" places. But they acknowledge and know each other. I
think it is an ecosystem where both niches need to exist.

I'm not sure I am fearing the fact that hacking is becoming more and more
mainstream. For too long people have equated hackers with "bad people who
will steal your credit card number". Making it more popular will
necessarily change it, maybe in ways we do not like, but I think that if
the comparison with music holds, what will happen is that we will have a
lot of imitating bands, some successful, some not, but the core founding
bands will still exist, maybe in better shape than before, maybe in a worse
one but probably not very different to what they would have become, had the
movement not gone mainstream. And I suspect that the world could become a
better place if most people get a part of the hacker spirit.

I am not sure about what you mean when you are talking about hackerspaces
that could become after-work recreational circles and how it is
incompatible with being a urban laboratory full of imagination. Maybe that
is because I currently am in a after-work mode.

It is interesting to talk about the motivations of the various people
involved in these places. I thought that the federating character was a
playful and curious attitude toward most problems, often technical,
sometimes social. Rejecting authority and imposed solutions seems to be a
fairly common trait too, probably spanning from the first. Maybe not every
hacker calls himself an anarchist, but there often is this need to be
self-sufficient, to not rely on someone else for some things, especially
knowledge. What else could we find as a unifying trait ?

Iv