[hackerspaces] Press

druid at stonedcoder.org druid at stonedcoder.org
Fri Apr 3 02:16:54 CEST 2009

Out of curiosity, will you back-populate spaces like the HHH, walnut
factory, l0pht, etc... that pre-date this recent surge in popularity?

One of the main organizers of hackers on a plane, and the founder of the
hacker halfway house, b9punk, should receive credit as the real progenitor
of this movement. In 2004 b9 along with mangala organized a group of
hackers (including myself) to fly to Berlin to speak at 21c3. The CCC
(read: Tim Pritlove) actually paid our airfare and Hotel stay :)

See my talk synopsis here:
http://www.ccc.de/congress/2004/fahrplan/event/133.en.html

Hackers on a Plane was the start of a whole new kind of space led by Bre
and his crew with resistor, but the creation of spaces is much older, even
in the US.

Not flame-bait, just setting the record straight. B9 is not too popular
with the most hackers nowadays but she did a LOT to get this whole ball
rolling, ask Nick Farr.

Also see this blog entry about the hacker spaces talk in July 2004 given
by Shardy and others at the fifth hope conference.

http://fifthhope.blogspot.com/2004/07/hacker-spaces-and-new-friends.html

And again, not trying to troll guys, I think this new form of open
community is great and really appreciate seeing what's happening. I guess
I took for granted everyone knew the history from when the hacker spaces
community was pretty small.

-Eric