[sudoroom] Important Note

Marina Kukso marina.kukso at gmail.com
Wed May 23 09:05:04 CEST 2012

hi everyone,

i agree that this is an excellent point that should be on all of our minds
as we discuss questions about governance, etc. i think ultimately this
reminder points to a larger issue: there are key decisions that need to be
made and they should be made reasonably soon.

at previous meetings we've discussed possibly finalizing within the next
couple weeks key governance issues that would allow us to make decisions
inclusively. matt put together a great list of key decisions on the wiki (
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/decisions ) but there's a lot there
and although we've had thorough discussions the last couple meetings, i
wonder if some of these issues might be too big to realistically settle
(while keeping everyone happy with the outcome) within the next two weeks.

i have three questions:

1) how to make the very first decision? so far, a few decisions have been
made (fundraiser, etc.) by doing discussions at meetings, then discussions
over the listserv, then informal consensus by folks at meetings. does this
still work?

2) would setting a deadline for a key decision date be a good idea? this
can help us focus meeting discussions, encourage listserv discussion and
wiki edits, and maximize the number of people who come to a possible key
decision-making meeting. on the other hand, it may prematurely cut off
discussion of important governance issues. on the third hand, key
governance discussions can easily go on for a long time. (if people are
into this idea, possible dates include the week after the consensus
workshop...maybe with a sunday meeting in there to allow for debrief and
meeting with people who aren't able to make wednesdays... or possibly the
week after that)

3) draft agenda for this week's meeting?

- marina

more brain fizz:

if the "discussion at meetings => listserv discussion => meeting consensus"
model is no longer adequate for making one or more key first decisions, we
would have to at least provisionally deal with these meta-questions from
the decisions wiki page:
- who makes decisions
- how decisions are made
- where/when are they made

it's hard for me to see how we can move forward on membership, income, or
the space without having these issues at least provisionally settled. these
are still huge areas for discussion with lots of room for different
perspectives, so keep discussing over the listserv and adding resources to
the wiki (i've really appreciated the resources people have added to the
wiki so far!)

additionally, if helpful, i think that it would be very possible for us to
prioritize key decisions, ie, it may be more important to answer this
question "*Membership.* Do we have it? If so, what are the levels/
benefits/ rules of engagement & expectations?" before this one "*Project
Endorsement.* When does SudoRoom attach its name and "backing" to a
project, if ever?"