[sudoroom] Important Note

victoria bogdan.victoria at gmail.com
Tue May 22 19:58:43 CEST 2012

+1 to that. Thanks, Eddie and Matt!

Last week our weekly group laid out options for membership, governance
structure, and revenue options (see:
wiki<http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room>).

At tomorrow night's meeting I hope that we can make some decisions and keep
moving forward!

*Thoughts on Impending Decisions: *
1. Wait until November or find interim space? (by vote?)
2. If so, create a space-finding committee?
3. Before we have membership fees & a space, how to decide critical/
foundational issues? (to keep moving forward, ex, majority vote)

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Matthew Senate <mattsenate at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I had the pleasure of chatting with Eddie Tejeda on Sunday, and he brought
> up a substantial point. This concerns the immediate future of Sudo Room.
>
> We have a responsibility to our donors, not to perform their individual
> visions or present some monetary return or service, but to act in good
> faith of their donations, a manifestation of their support for our general
> vision.
>
> We held a fundraiser, we had an amazing time, converged the community, and
> (almost mystically) raised our exact goal of $1500. We expanded and have
> seen more faces now than before our kickoff. The reason it was so
> successful was because many of us put our energy into it and reached out to
> our friends, coworkers, organizations, and the public at large who then
> offered us cash to help us reach closer to our goal of opening a physical
> location, a real hacker space.
>
> This raises a critical question. One of the most tangible opportunities
> for opening our space is to get working with the EBALC folks and
> collaborate with Anca at Techliminal to move in to 1825 San Pablo. In an
> ideal world, with all the best intentions, decisions, and preparation, it
> is very much possible that by November (techliminal's deadline), this deal
> may not be ready, or may not work out at all. In that case, we will have
> postponed a substantive result of our group for quite some time after May.
> It seems that as a group, which has received much from its community
> already, and which will inevitably reach out to this community again to
> support it in times of great change or great need, we cannot afford to wait
> such a long time before putting forward, constructively, a result that
> justifies these initial donations.
>
> We should definitely remain seriously engaged in the potential to move in
> to 1825 San Pablo with Techliminal, but we should also consider an interim
> solution, an initial room.
>
> We have cleverly for some time separated our immediate goal of an
> acceptable room, an initial launchpad, from a longer-term goal of a larger,
> more configurable space (Sudo Room => Sudo Space). What Eddie pointed out
> to me is that now more than ever this concept should be heeded, and not
> only because it is a reasonable, gradual approach to grow into new modes
> and new responsibilities, but also because as a group entrusted by many
> already, we should hope to one day convince them yet again to trust us with
> a small investment (or baba ghanoush or a giant inflated marshmallow man or
> 24 bottles of homebrew) to go wildly and boldly toward a space and platform
> for hacking everything, our sudo room.
>
> // Matt

victoriabogdan.com