[sudoroom] separation of politics and hackerspace?

Michael Scroggins michaeljscroggins at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:30:38 CEST 2012

Jenny Ryan wrote:

> I for one have no interest in co-creating in a space that is
> essentially a coworking space or coffeeshop (there are plenty of those
> already), where people come to take up space in isolation, working on
> things that are not relevant to the community in which they are
> ensconced. I want people to come to Sudo Room to hack on innovative
> and educational projects, the very nature of which are at once
> collaborative and empowering - in an open environment where everyone
> is both teacher and learner.
>
> Given the foci of folks who show up to meetings, many of those
> projects will be geared around citizen science and local activism

I think whatever Sudo Room becomes (and if anyone wants input into what
Sudo Room becomes, then please attend the meeting next Wednesday when
concrete political decisions will be made) that people should always be
welcome to come in and exercise their individual curiosity, even if that
curiosity has no obvious communal benefit or isn't obviously
educational, helpful, communicated to others, etc.... We shouldn't be
forcing community on anybody.

My interest is in giving people access to a place where they can
exercise their curiosity about.... things they are curious about.