[sudoroom] separation of politics and hackerspace?

Eddan Katz eddan at oaklandlocal.com
Fri May 11 23:07:01 CEST 2012

I'm certainly glad that Sudo Room is a space where meaningful debate about hacking and politics can take place. I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughtful comments. Much of what I would describe as my perspective has already been well said.

I did want to add though that maybe the wide range of connotations people associate with politics may be more the source of disagreement than over what a hackerspace is or means or ought to be. When I think about the kinds of projects I'd be interested in collaborating on with Sudo people, it's not about politics as in Democrat or Republican, Occupy or the Tea Party, nor even monarchism or anarchism.

We would all agree, I presume, that values are embedded in design choices and that they embody our social and economic politics. This awareness about the regulatory nature of technology itself is probably why Sudo people recognize the significance of choices like: proprietary vs. commons; competition vs. monopoly; circumvention vs. locks; trust vs. surveillance; disintermediation vs. centralization; neutrality vs. discrimination; anonymity vs. identification; and so on. We live at a time when hacking and hackers and hackerspaces can exist in only one of these future information societies as they are increasingly bifurcated.

I suggest that a kind of politics that would draw people in rather than alienate them could be captured by the notion of open infrastructures, as opposed to and/or along the spectrum with closed ones. I understand from what Sudo people have said so far that we're all motivated at least in part by creating tools and platforms that enable the fair and just distribution of knowledge and its opportunities in the information age. That seems like something worth rallying around.

My 2 Sudo cents.
-Eddan