[sudoroom] separation of politics and hackerspace?

Jenny Ryan jenny at thepyre.org
Thu May 10 19:43:52 CEST 2012

This is a vital conversation to be having.

Mark makes an important point, and I think its essential that we
collectively explore the history of hackerspaces and their role in
communities of practice - their 'political function' in society. As I
stated during our meeting yesterday, the very act of creating a space such
as this is a political act (though perhaps another word is needed, as this
one tends to trigger unpredictable and often unreasonable reactions in
people [1]). What is 'social justice' if not access to resources and
education, non-hierarchical decision-making, transparency and, Eddan's
keyword from yesterday, fairness?

Another key component of hackerspaces is the 'hacker ethic', which I'm sure
Mark or Marc could speak to better than I. An article posted by Mitch
yesterday on the growth of hackerspaces in China [2] asks the critical
question in the byline: "but can the hacker ethic flourish in a country
with a poor record of protecting freedoms?" In a country where public space
and freedom of speech are being increasingly policed and 1984'd, we would
do well to look to other examples of the role hackerspaces have played in
defending such freedoms.

I for one have no interest in co-creating in a space that is essentially a
coworking space or coffeeshop (there are plenty of those already), where
people come to take up space in isolation, working on things that are not
relevant to the community in which they are ensconced. I want people to
come to Sudo Room to hack on innovative and educational projects, the very
nature of which are at once collaborative and empowering - in an open
environment where everyone is both teacher and learner.

Given the foci of folks who show up to meetings, many of those projects
will be geared around citizen science and local activism - though by no
means restricted to those areas!  We came a long way at the meeting last
evening in articulating our shared vision of what Sudo Room is and could
be. Rather quickly, we came to an agreement that 1) access, 2)
transparency, and 3) equity are among the process-based (rather than
label-based) - or perhaps 'operational'? - values that define Sudo Room.