[foodhackingbase] Dark beer recipe update 21/1/2015

Richard Conroy richard.conroy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 13:07:05 CET 2015

English Ale style recipes are quite easy to get decent results with, hard
to make them great though.

Nottingham yeast is a really good all round yeast for them too.

Many recipes, even very famous ones (like Sarah Hughes Mild) are very
simple: 2 malt types, maybe 2 hops, and only 2 hop additions.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck <
algoldor at foodhackingbase.org> wrote:

> Thanks a lot Richard!
>
> I'll have to take some time to go through that, my next brewing day should
> be Monday 26th.
>
> Talk to you soon,
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Frantisek
>
> PS By the way this is my first message send under "Debian", I've switched
> from Ubuntu and Mint after some eight years to a new distro, well still
> Debian but ...
>
> On 2015-01-21 23:42, Richard Conroy wrote:
>
>> I would aim for 1.050 gravity, and mash at a higher temperature to
>> make more unfermentables.
>> At least 68C, possibly 70. The higher mash will balance hops and roast
>> bitterness.
>>
>> IIRC T-58 attenuates well.maybe too well, and it will add a phenolic
>> spiciness that may or may not be desirable (I find it a bit harsh and
>> one dimensional).
>>
>> Bitter with challenger, and add both EKG and Challenger in your late
>> 5/10 min additions, make sure you get your numbers right in your IBU
>> calculator.
>>
>> I would steep the carafa seperate, carafa 3 adds a lot of roast
>> bitterness in a full mash that is undesirable
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck
>> <algoldor at foodhackingbase.org> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi to all,
>>> I've updated the dark beer recipe plus manual. Importantly I've
>>> added the "LOG" for the last experiment. I'm interested in your
>>> opinions
>>>
>>> https://foodhackingbase.org/wiki/Recipe:Dark_beer [1]
>>>

>>> I would like to decrease the amount of alcohol to roughly 4% alc.
>>> for this beer still keeping the beer dark with full body and caramel
>>> flavour. I've new package of "East Kent Goldings" 4.66 aa (200 g of
>>> pelets) and Challenger 9.4 aa (200 g of pelets). I'm nearly out of
>>> the original Kent Golding 5.6 aa so I would prefer to work with the
>>> previous two for the next batches.
>>>
>>> I wonder how can I change the recipe to keep to the promisses
>>> above? I've also more speciality malts, can name them later on if
>>> you like, the base malts being Pilsner Malt.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions I will try to upload more pictures soon!
>>>
>>> Below is the recapitulation of the basic ingredients,
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Frantisek
>>>
>>> Basic conditions desired: alcohol per volume 4% (alc), original
>>> gravity of 1.05 (still applies or probably lower if alc. conent
>>> drops by 2%?), bitterness of 30 IBU (again probably lower)
>>>
>>> Batch size (culture volume Vc) - Vc = 14 l
>>>
>>> Malts composition (for last batch):
>>> 25% (w/v; 3500 g) of Pilsner malt
>>> 5% (w/v; 700 g) of Munich malt
>>> 1.5% (w/v; 210 g) of caramunich 3
>>> 1.5% (w/v; 210 g) carafa2 (steep separate?)

http://richardconroy.blogspot.com | http://twitter.com/RichardConroy