[foodhackingbase] Dark beer recipe update 21/1/2015

Richard Conroy richard.conroy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 15:42:29 CET 2015

I would aim for 1.050 gravity, and mash at a higher temperature to make
more unfermentables.
At least 68C, possibly 70. The higher mash will balance hops and roast
bitterness.

IIRC T-58 attenuates well.maybe too well, and it will add a phenolic
spiciness that may or may not be desirable (I find it a bit harsh and one
dimensional).

Bitter with challenger, and add both EKG and Challenger in your late 5/10
min additions, make sure you get your numbers right in your IBU calculator.

I would steep the carafa seperate, carafa 3 adds a lot of roast bitterness
in a full mash that is undesirable

--
http://richardconroy.blogspot.com | http://twitter.com/RichardConroy