[foodhackingbase] Dark beer recipe update 21/1/2015

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck algoldor at foodhackingbase.org
Wed Jan 21 13:34:11 CET 2015

Hi to all,
I've updated the dark beer recipe plus manual. Importantly I've added
the "LOG" for the last experiment. I'm interested in your opinions

https://foodhackingbase.org/wiki/Recipe:Dark_beer

I would like to decrease the amount of alcohol to roughly 4% alc. for
this beer still keeping the beer dark with full body and caramel
flavour. I've new package of "East Kent Goldings" 4.66 aa (200 g of
pelets) and Challenger 9.4 aa (200 g of pelets). I'm nearly out of the
original Kent Golding 5.6 aa  so I would prefer to work with the
previous two for the next batches.

I wonder how can I change the recipe to keep to the promisses above?
I've also more speciality malts, can name them later on if you like, the
base malts being Pilsner Malt.

Thanks for any suggestions I will try to upload more pictures soon!

Below is the recapitulation of the basic ingredients,

Sincerely,

Frantisek

Basic conditions desired: alcohol per volume 4% (alc), original gravity
of 1.05 (still applies or probably lower if alc. conent drops by 2%?),
bitterness of 30 IBU (again probably lower)

Batch size (culture volume Vc) - Vc = 14 l

Malts composition (for last batch):
25% (w/v; 3500 g) of Pilsner malt
5% (w/v; 700 g) of Munich malt
1.5% (w/v; 210 g) of caramunich 3
1.5% (w/v; 210 g) carafa2 (steep separate?)
0.5% (w/v; 70 g) cara aroma

Hops composition (for last batch):
0.3% (w/v; 42 g) of Kent golding 4-5% of aa

Yeast type
Safbrew T-58

Fermentation temperature 20°C

Disclaimer - there are other people who have access to this email
account, please be aware of that it is part of the design. For "highly
private communication" use algoldor at yahoo.com