[foodhackingbase] dark beer recipe - ideas?

salomonderossi salomon at salomonderossi.de
Fri Jul 4 18:47:05 CEST 2014

Hi Frantisek,

I will try to answer some of your questions. Regarding the malts you have made a good choice. If you want a bit darker color you can also be a bit sloopy when you stir. When mashing you normally have to stir all the time. If you make a 2 minute pause the malt will scorch a bit and the beer becomes darker.

Regarding the alcohol, just use less malt. Do you have something to measure the original gravity of liquids? Something about 10 degree plato or 9.6 Brix or 1.03840 SG should fit your needs. With these values you should have about 3.5% alcohol.

I usually mash the malts and after the lautering I fill up with water until the desired value :-D

Regarding the hops I would choose something mild with low alpha acid. The "classic" hops should fit best here. I found Hallertau and Tettnang in the shops you send. I would choose one of those two. Or you could combine the two. And boil the hops only for 45 minutes. The longer you boil the more bitter the beer gets.

Regarding the yeast you can (in my opinion) choose any top fermenting yeast. With top fermenting yeast you cannot make any big mistakes. And it does not matter if the temperature is not exactly the same during the fermentation. The result is usually very tasty. I usually use the Safbrew T-58. This yeast is also listed in the online shop you send :-)

Regarding the gypsum I can give you no real tipps. This depends on your water hardness and the ratio of gypsum to lime ("Kalk" in germany). The ratio of gypsum and lime should be 1:1. But I think you should first find a nice malt and hop mix and get your process reproducible before you should think about that.

I hope that helped a bit.

King regards,
Philipp