[foodhackingbase] dark beer recipe - ideas?

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck algoldor at foodhackingbase.org
Fri Jul 4 14:07:18 CEST 2014

Hi to all,
I've a practical questions about my first beer adventure which I want to
do next week. I'm after dark beer, preferably short beer so 3% alcohol
content or so, I want to order whatever I have to by Monday. Here is
recipe which I got from a beer brewer here in Korea Jason some time ago
and I would like to hear comments because I would like to do some
changes:

Batch size = 20 l (6% alcohol)

Malts
5 kg of Pilsner malt
1 kg of Munich malt
300 g of caramunich 3
100 g cara aroma
300 g carafa2 (steep separate)

Hops
any hops that provide 4-5% of aa (60 min boiling) - Kent Golding
suitable? other?
any spicy hop (10 min boiling) - crystal suitable? other?
optional - 1 tablespoon of gypsum (to lower pH)

Yeast
S05
Safale S05 (London ale yeast)

Below are online shops which I can use here in Korea for the
ingredients, I've to buy everything except the Pilsner malt which I got
in bulk for a good price, it is really expensive here (insane).

beerschool.co.kr
seoulhomebrew.com
craftbrewer.co.kr

I would like to decrease the amount of alcohol to 3-4% and I may have to
change the dark malts composition a bit because I will not be able to
get all of them - but I should be able to get a representative malt from
each group (caramel, roasted etc.). I'm really not sure which hops are
suitable, I do not like bitter flavour really ... I'll have to make my
own false bottom for mashing, no way where to order here I'm afraid,
maybe as Richard suggested that "bag beer brewing" can be an option ...

So please suggestions, thank you!

Sincerely from Jeju,

FAA

Disclaimer - there are other people who have access to this email
account, please be aware of that it is part of the design. For "highly
private communication" use algoldor at yahoo.com