[foodhackingbase] Carbonic acid - shake it out?

Mark Meyer mark at ofosos.org
Tue Dec 16 17:39:00 CET 2014

Hi List,
I haven't brewed all year, but came along a seemingly simple problem.

When I brew I usually take two pH measurements. One at t = 0 and one at
t = 24h into the fermentation process. I'm usually content with two
measurements. The reasoning is that a large drop in pH indicates that
the fermentation started up right away, so I can now basically leave
this alone and not worry, wether it'll be ok.

Now with Kimchi, the target pH seems to be around 4.3 for a ripe Kimchi.
However I'm unsure, if I should shake out the carbonic acid or measure
just right away. This becomes even more important when you want to
automate this process.

Oh and BTW. I live in Hamburg and if you need a helping hand, I'd be
available starting late on the 26th or early on the 27th, though I don't
have a drivers license. I'm not that interested in most of the talks and
I'm not on call rotation nor do I have to work these days. Otherwise
I'll just stick around the last day and collect my reward :)

 From Hamburg,
Regards, Mark