[foodhacking] [foodhackingbase] Looking for red Oncom starter

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 04:53:12 CEST 2013

Hi Ben and all,
I'm both interested in building the device to make the fermentations more easy - have been talking about that to hacker community for least few years (Experimental incubator project)

http://frantisekapfelbeck.org/doku.php?id=experimental_incubator

http://wiki.techinc.nl/index.php/Fermentation_controller

and I want to dedicate more time to the soy bean ferments now too, tempeh is one of them, otherwise traditional Korean ferments and Japanese natto. I have some tempeh starter from Dan Merc (who I copied on the email) which I think is however Rhizopus oligosporus based (which is interestingly mentioned as contamination for this culture on one wiki article - and simultaneously being mentioned as a starter for black oncom :-)) rather than Neurospora. Can you clarify it Dan? And I wonder if you could share your supplier.

I'm living now in Korea so chances are to get it somewhere around (but not really in the country) and send it to Europe. If you are not in a hurry and coming to 30c3 or having someone who goes there, we will do another culture exchange under food hacking base so I should be able to send you something, we can put it on the list.

Please let us know what are your plans, I'm now really looking for the people who would like to both (or one of) - make the experimental incubator happen and would be ready to share and experiment with the soy beans ferments of various types - it is much more fun to do these things together I think and sharing the knowledge (and resources of course).

Sincerely,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org