[Finance] Startup Costs

Grant Henninger grant.henninger at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 22:22:42 CEST 2010

We're looking at opening our hackerspace in Anaheim, California, USA.  There
are three of us actively planning this out and another half-dozen or so that
are interested in participating.

My current list of start-up costs is:

   - MakerBot CNC                           $  1,250.00
   - NextEngine 3D Scanner              $  3,000.00
   - CNC Milling Machine                   $  5,495.00
   - Computers (x6)                           $  3,000.00
   - Server                                        $  1,000.00
   - Furniture*                                   $  1,000.00
   - Initial Inventory*                           $  1,000.00
   - Deposits with utilities*                 $  1,000.00
   - Business License and Permits*    $    500.00
   - Rental Security Deposit*              $  3,000.00

Anything with a * is a guesstimate.  All totaled, this put us right above
$20,000.  Nearly half of that is machinery.  Also, we should be able to cut
down on the computer costs by finding used computers, but for now I want a
fairly conservative budget.

Another question I have, although it's related to operations and not
start-up costs, is how much plastic a typical hackerspace goes through for a
3D printer?

Thanks for your guy's help.

-Grant Henninger