[Finance] Startup Costs

Matt brimstone at the.narro.ws
Mon Oct 25 22:30:01 CEST 2010

On 10/25/2010 03:22 PM, Grant Henninger wrote:
> All totaled, this put us right above $20,000.

Wow, that sounds like you're getting some really nice stuff. Makers
Local 256 started out with 10 people who decided we didn't want to
meet in apartments anymore and get our own place. We each pledged an
amount we could donate to "The Cause" each month for a year, then
found a place based on that. A few of us donated that our amount for
the year up front so we'd have some starting capital. In hindsight,
it would have been nicer to get 3 to 6 month's income saved up, but
we've been doing ok for just over 3 years now. Most of our tools and
toys have been donated or loaned by members, but even our virtual
machine server which runs everything for makerslocal.org (blog,
email, wiki, zimbra) is was only $600 (again, on loan by a member).

My 2¢: I don't think you need near $20,000 to get started.

#matt