[hackerspaces-theory] ping

Andrew Schrock aschrock at usc.edu
Sun Dec 9 03:40:40 CET 2012

I think that's a good question: the intention to get credibility? There are very real stakes for those of us in academia to adhere to journals that have a higher reputation. Publishing of research in these journals is connected with better chances at promotion, getting grants, and so on. Scientific research should be open-access, authors are rarely paid, and there are increasingly few reasons to justify the exorbitant fees charged by journals to universities. The stakes are high for academics, but if you're not in that world, the rewards for participating are much lower.

So maybe we can come back to thinking about what hackerspaces hope to get from a more formalized publishing venue. What would the audience be for such a publication? Would even it need "peer review"? Is the goal to disseminate practical technical information or discuss "theory"? IMHO members have a great interest in the former and a near allergy to the latter. If the test of worthiness is like code (does it run? Is it useful?) is there even a need for relying on a publishing metaphor like a journal?

Just to throw it out there, one trick from the academic world is to look in cons or other gatherings for interested parties to write articles. Thematically, I am thinking more about topics that are about what hackerspaces do well, rather than think exclusively about empirical science. In which case the audience would be crossover academics/hackerspace members/tinkerers. Topics might include histories (think about a larger scale chapter in the beginning PDF), organizational patterns (what's working and why), case studies of projects, and pedagogy (why is hands-on learning necessary?).

Andrew Schrock
USC Annenberg Doctoral Candidate
Twitter:	@aschrock
Email: 	aschrock at usc.edu