[sudoroom] The Sudo Sandwich

Thomas Fitzpatrick fitzsnaggle at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 07:33:46 CET 2013

On 12/31/2012 02:47 PM, Eddan Katz wrote:
> The issues about sales tax, use tax, or non-taxable regarding food for
> consumption is in fact a murky area. See
> http://www.taxes.ca.gov/Sales_and_Use_Tax/WhatsTaxable.shtml
>
> sent from eddan.com <http://eddan.com>
>
> On Dec 31, 2012, at 2:38 PM, "Leonid Kozhukh" <len at ligertail.com
> <mailto:len at ligertail.com>> wrote:
>
>> more importantly, eddan, what tax structure do we use for such an
>> undertaking? shouldnt we put our eggs in multiple bread-baskets, if
>> you will, and diversify to cover all extremes of diet preference as
>> well as authoritarian control over ones life?
>>
>> some food for thought, no doubt. ha
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Eddan Katz <eddan at eddan.com
>> <mailto:eddan at eddan.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Dear Sudo folk -
>>
>>     There's been some talk of a Sudo Sandwich of late. I've decided
>>     (as eddan.com <http://eddan.com>) to make the creation of the
>>     ultimate Sudo sandwich one of my resolutions for this upcoming year.
>>
>>     Trying to get a bit of a head start, I spoke to Nacho Boy earlier
>>     today, who's the guy that kind of looks like the guy in the Ike's
>>     Lair logo, but apparently is not. Ike's Lair is the sandwich shop
>>     on Sudo Sq., about which I don't really need to further
>>     advertise, deducing from the familiar brown paper bags and
>>     lollipop wrappers evident in the Sudo trash & recycling.
>>
>>     I got some good background on Ike's and the external process by
>>     which someone can propose a sandwich talking to Nacho Boy. He's
>>     apparently responsible for quite a number of Ike's more than 400
>>     sandwiches - including the Nacho Boy, of course, but also proudly
>>     the Menage a Trois, which is the most popular sandwich. (see
>>     http://ilikeikesplace.com/ for a full listing). When I asked him
>>     for a list of ingredients, he did seem to get a little defensive
>>     even though I hadn't yet mentioned anything about the ultimate
>>     sandwich idea. It turns out we're going to have to reverse
>>     engineer that from the website, which is thankfully laid out to
>>     sort by ingredients anyhow.
>>
>>     According to Nacho Boy, Ike's is on the verge of an explosion
>>     around the Bay Area in 2013 on top of the quickly multiplying
>>     locations already, including one at SFO. The way Nacho Boy tells
>>     it, it seems like 2013 will be the year of Ike's and there's no
>>     stopping them. For a peek at what the real Ike looks like and
>>     some more background, see
>>     http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/26/us/26sfmetro.html. Watch out
>>     Subway, & the guy named Jared made famous for having lost a lot
>>     of weight eating only Subway sandwiches. Actually, Michael Phelps
>>     known for being the greatest athlete in Olympic history, is now
>>     their mascot. Anyhow - see the Man v Food Travel Channel youtube
>>     clip on Ike's for an even closer look --
>>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1cGUsvqu2g.
>>
>>     Despite the fame, Ike Shehadeh is very approachable Nacho Boy
>>     tells me - he still tweets his own tweets and reads his own
>>     Facebook fan page comments.

> [...]
I talked this over with my friend and we came up with a Vietnamese -
Portabella mushroom sandwich. Cucumber, Pickled carrots, sprouts, leave
the fish sauce out. The French bread works for a lot of people. Leave
the jalapenos off too.

Anyway, I think the base of cucumber, carrot, and french bread works
pretty well for a large group. Maybe someone can build from there.