[sudoroom] Proposal to rent biohack room and fishbowl

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 19:10:28 CEST 2012

To save you the trouble of opening that Word Document, please see below:

 *Minimal Satisfactory Rental*

*Top Activity Priorities – percent in favor:*

57% computer workstation

57% 3D printer

52% soldering workstation

48% classroom space

48% couches

48% group working spaces

38% wet lab

38% laser cutting/engraving

38% bicycle/human powered repair station

38% rooftop forest / vertical hanging garden

33% hammocks

33% bookshelves/library

Out of 21 respondents, recorded
*here<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqBO4Q7UXSgXdDdIR1hUN3FhTGN3b0FEMGJvVU5yaFE#gid=0>
* as of 10/26 and subject to my best arithmetic / copypaste.

*Satisfactory Space Discussion*

Of the top three activities, the soldering workstation has the greatest
constraint in that it requires ventilation. Unless one of the $900 rooms
can be fitted with ventilation, the windows in the biohack room would be
critical for this activity. Of the next 3 activities, a classroom space and
meeting space are provided ready to use downstairs, and couches for hacking
back in comfort can be placed upstairs either in the sudo-exclusive space
or I would assume in the common use space if other renters agree. The
absolute cheapest upstairs room is the mezzanine at $300, which would not
be suitable for more than 2 people working at a time and is therefore
excluded from this proposal. The minimum size requirements would be met by
renting one $900 room and the $175 closet, thereby retaining access to both
floors. To enable soldering and wet lab activities and provide more storage
space, the incremental cost to rent the next more expensive room is $600.
The incremental cost of retaining the fishbowl instead of the closet is
$225, which would provide better visibility for events and a nicer
environment for compact activities at about twice the price per square foot.

*Rental Cost*

(Assuming $100/mo utility)

Minimal Rental $1,175

Minimal Rental prioritizing fishbowl $1,400

Minimal Rental prioritizing biohack room $1,775

Minimal Satisfactory Rental:

(biohack room + fishbowl) $2,000

*Baseline Revenues*

sudoroom only

* 25 ppl x $50*

* subtotal dues = $1,250*

others from *this
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsQ2Ur3gqJI_dFRyalZjOHQzYmotZkxNWU9lLXhEeHc#gid=0>
document<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsQ2Ur3gqJI_dFRyalZjOHQzYmotZkxNWU9lLXhEeHc#gid=0>
* minus $50 baseline dues

* $270 jae personal projects area*

* $200 felicia personal projects area*

* $200 hol personal projects area*

* subtotal personal space rental = $670*

total dues + personal space rental = *$1,920*

*Proposal*

Personal space rental is over 2/3 of the rent of the a $900 upstairs room
from the three parties above alone, which would not leave sufficient group
work/storage space. As the closet is only used for storage and there is a
nice storagey looking room in the biohack space, and the fishbowl is much
cooler, I propose going for the minimal satisfactory rental outlined above.
We are almost right on the money for rental (not factoring in utilities or
one-time costs) and I expect there will be more membership interest with a
wet lab, adequate ventilation, and a street-facing area on the first floor.
This will satisfy the space requirements for each activity having at least
one third of members in support – with the likely exception of vertical
hanging gardens.

*Proposed Contingency Plans*

*Backup Plan (--)*

If sufficient personal space rental or dues is unlikely to materialize in
time or we want more for the rainy day fund, I propose to abandon the fish
bowl and stick to the closet for a total cost of $1,775.

*Expanded Plan (++)*

If there's enough interest in additional groups joining or otherwise viable
plans for generating revenue, I propose adding on a $900 room for a total
cost of $2,900 or less if discounted. We should also remain open to adding
the extra space in a different building, still under the sudoroom umbrella
but better suited to some of the dirtier/dustier activities.

This document may be modified and freely distributed.