[sudoroom] Electronic Donations @ Sudo Room

rusty lindgren rustylindgren at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 18:44:27 CET 2012

Hey Guyz(that's not gender specific),

I made a point to Jenny last night that we need a list of things we will
take as donations, and things we won't take.

My reason for this is a very good reason.  I went to a talk at Defcon this
year by people who have been running hack-spaces for a long time, and they
said one of the biggest problems they have with their spaces is that they
get donations that aren't useful, I.E. racks of out-dated servers,
monitors, etc. that just take up space.

We just loaded a bunch of stuff in last night, and it makes me worried that
we're not being discriminating enough as far as what we're taking.

I don't have a lot of time to be mentally sharp when I'm not at work,
because I'm working long hours, so I would prefer if someone could do this,
but I think we should figure out what things the E-Recycle people will pick
up for free, or what stuff we can even make money on recycling(if that's
possible), and then put that on the wiki what kinds of things we will take,
and then compile a list of what we have, so we don't take too much of
things.

While this seems like it might be discriminating against this project or
that project, that's probably a good thing, because I already see shelf
space getting in the way of work space, and I can move in and out equipment
easily, and this feels like it could get out of hand, as the expert panel
at Defcon pointed out.

If nobody wants to do this, I will do it, but in my weakened mental state,
it might come out totally Nazi-like or something.

Obviously, we can change this, but I think we need this sooner rather than
later.

Let me know if anyone wants to help out with this.

-Rusty

**