[sudoroom] A call to hackers everywhere

Steve Berl steveberl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 19:26:54 CET 2012

Jehan,

Not quite understanding what you are saying.
At some point the voters intent needs to be input into some sort of machine
readable form. This can be done:

- directly to machine by the voter (electronic voting machine that may or
may not print a paper audit trail)
- voter marks intended vote via some mechanical mechanism (pen marks on
paper, punching chads, etc) and then that is read by a machine of some sort
(optical scanner, punch card reader).
- voter mechanically marks paper, and some other human records transcribes
the marks into a machine readable form.
- Something else?

So when you say why are vote input machines needed, which part of the above
are you saying is the problem? Or are you suggesting that my basic premise
that the votes need to end up in machine readable form is wrong?

-steve

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Jehan Tremback <jehan.tremback at gmail.com>wrote:

> Sorry, I meant why are vote input machines needed? I guess the thing where
> it prints your ballot where you can see it is ok in terms of a paper trail,
> but seems unnecessary.
>

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Eddan Katz <eddan at eddan.com> wrote:
>
>> Not sure what you mean, but if no machines are used at all (including
>> mechanical ones) and votes were all tabulated by people, it would take a
>> month or more to get election results.
>>
>> On Nov 16, 2012, at 6:16 PM, "Jehan Tremback" <jehan.tremback at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> why are the machines required?
>> On Nov 16, 2012 5:43 PM, "Eddan Katz" <eddan at eddan.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It's actually worse than that, since there is also variation on the
>>> county level for certification criteria.
>>>
>>> If the FEC (Federal Election Commission) issued standardized code
>>> recommendations for the vote tabulation functionality only, and made sure
>>> that code was open source, why couldn't the voting machine manufacturers
>>> design whatever system they wanted to, which could satisfy the various
>>> requirements at the state and county level?

-steve