[sudoroom] electronic access

Susan Werner heinousbutch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 05:17:20 CET 2012

What's generally used in these cases is what's called an electric strike:
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_strike or
http://www.accesshardware.com/press/AHS%20HES%20CompleteGuide.pdf )

An electric strike is a device that is installed in the doorframe that frees
the bolt (and thus the door) to move even when the bolt is extended.

Another option is to replace the entire panic bar is replaced with a panic bar
with an internal delocking mechanism that can retract its bolt when power is
applied.

What should *not* be done is any modification of the panic bar -- doing so is
likely to violate fire codes / life safety codes. In most building codes, there
are strict requirements about what's allowed (and not) on doors with panic bars
and from what I understand, modifying the panic bar is likely to cause a code
violation. (an electric strike doesn't interfere with any of the functioning of
a panic bar, so those are OK)

Once you have a something that unlocks when power is applied, all you need to
do is interface that with a 3.3V / 5V logic output (relay + transistor with the
right protection diodes is an easy way to go) and connect that to a computer.

--
Susan