[sudoroom] A call to hackers everywhere

Eddan Katz eddan at eddan.com
Sat Nov 17 00:58:23 CET 2012

I need to look up the sources again, but there was research I've come across that compared the margins of error of different types of voting technology, and there has always been at least 2-3%, more often 4-6% among the EVMs. This includes paper ballots, which has to be tabulated by something, if not someone.

The voters' intent in the marginal cases are hard to decide, no matter what methodology you use. To give you an example, I brought my daughter in with me to the voting booth this year. I did all the propositions and local candidates myself, but I let my daughter fill in the line for president. She was about to fill in a bubble somewhere else and made a mark, though it was above the gap where the arrow needed to be filled in. I crossed it out and put my initials next to it to avoid any inadvertent confusion, but that's beside the point. This happens all the time, in every technology that has been used.

I would need some help with properly applying the math to get the result, but by my calculation - a 4-5% margin of error results, on average, with each voter's vote counting about 0.93 of a vote. There has never been one vote per person in large elections, but it is a myth worth preserving to motivate people to vote.

My question then is, and I'm serious - where does that 0.07 of my vote go? I'd be very interested to find out and would appreciate any pointers on even how to go about answering that question, frankly.

sent from eddan.com