[sudoroom] A call to hackers everywhere

Eddan Katz eddan at eddan.com
Fri Nov 16 07:43:03 CET 2012

Foul play has a long history in elections, and with paper too. But that's a different point.

Do you think the voter should receive the paper receipt or that a paper receipt is printed out but kept at the voting location. If kept at the location, should the voter be able to review the printed copy before it is dropped into whatever box or container holds the paper trail votes?

I learned that this turns out to be a crucial question for the blind advocates for voting rights, for whom electronic voting machines make it possible for them to vote for the first time in private and without any assistance. This issue in fact caused a major rift between traditional voting rights advocates and the digital rights community that I think is still yet to be repaired. Only after intensive coalition building efforts did groups like the NAACP, traditionally concerned about voting rights, finally came around to the digital rights criticism of EVMs.

I would be interested in trying to work out a more nuanced position that can satisfy both the computer scientists and the blind community concerns. That seems like a very worthwhile Sudo Room project to me.

-Eddan