[sudoroom] Introductions

Tony Barreca tony.barreca at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 03:41:10 CET 2012

Sorry that I have not done this earlier, but I actually didn't realize it
was part of the culture until I read Eddan's note.

I met Matt Senate as a participant on the coordinating team of the "Code
for Oakland" hackathon, and he and his mentions of Sudoroom really piqued
my curiosity.

I am mostly a startup guy, and founded an "interactive TV" company that
went under in the "dot-com" bust.  More recently, I have been a development
executive for an email services startup and a mobile application startup.

I also have a fair amount of "big company" computer industry experience.
For example, I worked at Sun Microsystems for 7 years, during which time I
was first the Solaris Kernel director, and then the owner of all
SPARC-based virtualization.  The group of which I was director delivered
both the SPARC Hypervisor and Virtual Machines (LDoms) subsystems.

All that managerial experience has meant that I've been pretty hands-off
for a while, but my commitment to open data and open government has induced
a high level of motivation to get more hands on again.  To that end, I am
in the process of learning Python.

Why am I interested in Sudoroom?

First, it's interesting, and from what I can tell, this mailing list in
jam-packed with interesting folks.  I really like the idea of a hacker
space in central Oakland, and view it as a potentially amazing community
asset.  The world needs changing and the only way to get it done is to do
it.  Seems to me that that is at least in part what Sudoroom is about.

Another reason is serendipity.  You have to put yourself in the way of
interesting stuff if you want interesting stuff to happen, right?  I'm less
clear about what my destination on this journey might be.  I'd love to be a
part of an emerging startup community in Oakland, and to that end, have
decent connections to The Sand Hill Road Gang.  Seems like that might not
be the preferred approach among Sudoers (not mine either, truth be told),
but it's true.

As long as no one minds my hanging out on the mailing, my current intent is
to follow developments as they unfold and wait for an organic opportunity
to get more involved.

--
Tony Barreca
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonybarreca