[sudoroom] May 31, 2012 - Wednesday Meeting Minutes

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 05:20:23 CEST 2012

https://pad.riseup.net/p/sudoroom*

5/30/2012 - Meeting Minutes*

Marginalia:

   - Theme songs for sudo room "Do you have to let it linger" The
   Cranberries / "Wide Open Spaces" by the Dixie Chicks.

* Agenda

1. Research

   - Basic research on hackerspaces (e.g. videos) , book written in 12
   days, encourages others to contribute.
   http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/research

   - + Add cory doctorow's book for general inspiration

   - + Contribute to other hackerspaces.org/wiki pages. Also we can utilize
   semanticmediawiki plugin!!! Jenny is doing this already.

   - Bay Area Dandelion Project - Michael has posted this on the wiki under
   Projects.

   - Consensus decision-making workshop so open any time (6pm is a good
   start time?) lots of reasons

   - Point of info: occupy has wednesday meetings at 6pm.

   - The Holdout

   - Awaken

   - Consensus decision-making is valuable for our collective, carve time
   for the workshop. Inter-hack business and meeting agenda.

2. Bank

   - Bank page has been started on the wiki:
   http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/banking

   - Banking solution necessary for the interim to place existing money
   raised from fundraiser

   - Patelco

   - - LLC or other entity necessary for business account.

   - - Alternately, personal account can be an interim solution.

   - - Find free ATMs: http://99atms.com/

   - - Folks seem in agreement that a personal account seems like a good
   plan for the moment.

   - DBA - Really easy, moving forward tonight!

3. Space http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/open_a_space

   - (a) Ideas about space scouting

   - Everyone getting together and finding property listings with phone
   numbers in the area. Happening! Read more below.

   - (b) Parameters/Guide to help people in their craigslist trolling?

   - - So far we've been looking around $1500/mo

   - - Areas of Oakland that we've been interested in?

   - - Access to BART and accessibility are very high on the list of
   priorities for the space (and possible deal breakers)

   - (c) Max suggests Lowell and Jack London Square properties as good
   locations for hackerspaces.

   -

   -

Upcoming Events:

1. Sunday Hack Nights

   - First sunday hack night on 6/3: Location TBD, possibly Max Ogden's
   inaccessible warehouse in the Eastlake neighborhood; Max will be there
   starting at 6PM

   - 1209 8th, Oakland!

2. Next movie night

   - When shall it be?

   - Suggestion:

   - Watch Memento, Inception and Primer simultaneously WHILE PLAYING DARK
   SIDE OF THE MOON.

   - BACKWARDS.

3. Physical space space scouting event!

   - 2PM: Oscar Grant Plaza, Sunday 6/3

   - -call everybody! explore the terrain

   - -make maps of the area's open spaces.

   - - bring your bike if you have one!

   - - end up at Max Ogden's warehouse for Sunday hack night

230 Madison
Broadway & 22nd - $500 -

SudoRoom Governing Model-
-Non-binding decisions among those physically present
-Note dissenting opinions on the wiki

Funding/space logistics discussion:
- Realistically, any space may require initial payments that are higher
than our current assets
- Discussion of optional membership fees ahead of the space being opened
(to build up capital that would go towards early payments on the space)

   - - This is limited by the fact that we have no model at the moment for
   what being a "paying member" means.

- What would the pitch be to potential landlords?

   - ---> Computer club

   - -How can we turn a profit?

*Loopnet.com Account*
*login:* info at sudoroom.org