[sudoroom] Ontological proof for the Existence of Sudo Room

Eddan Katz eddan at oaklandlocal.com
Wed Jul 25 01:30:39 CEST 2012

It's apparently not so easy to get a group bank account without a tax
ID. Even our friendly credit union down the block, Patelco, requires
such a group to link that account with an existing credit union member's
account (which, in turn, requires their social security number).

After some further investigation with bank representatives at Community
Bank of the Bay (@ 19th & Broadway), I think I've finally hacked it. I
explained to the new accounts manager that we are currently an
unincorporated association, that we don't yet have By-laws but intend
to, but we have already agreed on a process by which we will draft and
ratify our by-laws. According to their business account set up form
(attached), tax ID seems to be required even in all the Other
categories. So it took a couple calls to some managers on the second
floor, who apparently had to check with some other folks higher-up that
this could conceivably be possible within their Non-Profit Checking
account option (http://www.communitybankbay.com/business/checking). (see
second attachment for Set-Up form details).

In order to open up a bank account as an unincorporated association at
Community Bank of the Bay, there are two requirements: (1) a copy of the
By-Laws (or Articles of Association or Manifesto of Power, etc.); and
(2) "proof of existence" (/bank representatives words, not mine/). Since
our Articles of Assocation are now scheduled to be ratified by compact,
currently being developed at
(http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room/Compact), all we need to do is
to prove we exist.

Proof of Existence --

As a recovering philosophy major, I of course immediately thought of St.
Anselm's 11th century ontological proof of the existence of God: "that,
than which nothing greater can be conceived." Even after Gaunilo of
Marmoutier's "Lost Island" refutation
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaunilo_of_Marmoutiers), I consider the
ontological proof of existence valid if modified slightly, without the
hubris, to be: "nothing more or less than that, than which nothing
greater be conceived." Albeit having satisfied myself by this
ontological proof of the existence of Sudo Room, I nevertheless thought
it wise to ask her what she meant by "proof of existence."

Apparently, this second prong requirement (as confirmed by the
higher-ups) in addition to the Articles of Association can be satisfied
with a copy of meeting minutes, a listing of the board of director or
membership directory, indication of a place of business, or some such
thing. Our meeting minutes have been thankfully curated by the founding
founders and are available at
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Sudo_room#Meeting_Minutes. I did start
thinking though about how we could satisfy some of the other optional
requirements to prove our existence. In furtherance of this objective, I
would like to propose three actions (modular and granular) that could
help us pass this threshold of existence.

1. Sudo Square

Since we have not yet transferred the lease from my name to Sudo Room,
there is not yet proof that Sudo Room exists at 2135 Broadway. But I
think that in the age of checking in, that kind of geographic proof of
existence could also be accomplished by coordinated crowd in-checking as
ontological proof. So just before the meeting yesterday, I set up a
location at Foursquare for "Sudo Square," located on that plaza at the
intersection of Broadway, 19th, and Franklin.
(https://foursquare.com/v/sudo-square/50074796e4b092cb5fe8c83d.)

I'm glad that several others have already checked in, but was hoping to
get some Sudo help to name the square. So when you're passing by 22nd &
Broadway and you're itching to check in on Facebook or Foursquare, or
Yelp, or however it is you go about telling the world instantaneously
where you are - please check in at Sudo Square - often and tell your
friends about it too. I've listed it as an historic site on Foursquare,
and invite others to add pictures (there's apparently already one up
from inside the classroom from our meeting last night).

2. Box Office Maximum Occupancy

There were unfortunately not enough people at the meeting before last to
really test out how many hackers you could fit inside our 100 sq. ft.
box office room facing Broadway. I was thinking we could schedule a
ceremony to figure this out, perhaps at the next Art Murmur
(http://oaklandartmurmur.org/) on August 3.

Since this would take place presumably after we plan to ratify the
Articles of Association, I thought we could make it ceremonious by
calling each signatory up to sign a parchment print of the Articles of
Association before entering the box office Sudo Room for the maximum
occupancy test. We could combine it with a ceremonial blowing up the 8.5
ft. inflatable Stay Puft Marshmallow Men in honor of Ghostbusters being
shown at the Paramount Theatre next door at 8pm
(http://www.paramounttheatre.com/schedule.html).

3. Flash Conference

In the spirit of our open invitation to the general public to take part
in or be made aware of our existence, I thought it would be appropriate
to hold a press conference. That could also take place during Art Murmur
or at the recent ancillary creation Saturday Stroll
(http://oaklandartmurmur.org/calendar/saturday-stroll). If anyone knows
of reporters who would be interested in covering this momentous event,
we could put together a press release announcing our intention to
publicly declare the existence of Sudo Room. I thought it might be more
fun to have a "flash conference." We can coordinate for some people to
show up and crowd around the entrance at 2135 Broadway with their camera
phones and/or pocket camcorders about 15 minutes before when we intend
to start. If you don't have one, I have a bunch, some of which even
work, in a bin in our Orange Closet. If the flash mob phenomenon has
taught us anything, it's that the mobilization of social media masses at
the lowest common denominator does not even require any particular
purpose or cause.

If someone has contacts in her office, I thought it would be nice invite
our mayor Jean Quan. We can present her with some Sudo token of our
appreciation for her leadership as "boss of the city". I've already
asked the Psychic downstairs whether or not he would be willing to say a
few words about his intuition for our future success, but he politely
declined according to some vague self-regulatory psychic agreement not
to appear on camera. Any other ideas, if not yet explicitly clear, would
of course be welcomed.