[sudoroom] fundraising

Tracy Jacobs kinetical at comcast.net
Tue Jul 3 03:17:40 CEST 2012

Everyone I talk to about this group and the location, has been super
excited about it.  It is a very good set-up with low rent and a lot of
usable space, and room to grow.  The other Oakland Hacker spaces are
less accessible, and accessibility to Bart is  a big deal to people.
People want to be able to get here easily from San Francisco and other
places.  The neighborhood itself is fun and exciting, which in itself
makes the place more appealing.  More people means a big space  in a
prime location+ low monthly dues, which I think is ideal for a hacker
space.   I get the impression that you're all kind of broke, so you
might need to bring in some more people to make this work.  I'm all
for keeping monthly dues at 50 dollars or less.  Being part of Art
Murmur can also be a benefit for creative people in the community, and
can be used to make some money possibly, or to get important ideas
across to the public.  I'd like to see an event there, like this one
on July 6th for Art Murmur, bring some more people to the space who
are on the list, but not attending meetings.  I'd like to see more
things happening there other than just meetings, as these can get
really boring to some people and are not for everyone.

Are there people who just can't feel good about this space for some
reason?   Because of the space or how the decision was made to rent
it? Or is it just a problem with finances?

I was chatting with Ryan from Bio-curious, who told me they did a
kickstarter to fund the Bio-curious space.  I guess you already
discussed that, but I think we should do it.  We can offer memberships
for kickstarter donations.  It can't hurt to try, and the effort will
also increase publicity.

I hope everyone will come out this Friday and make a presence in the
neighborhood, and enjoy what we have at this time.

Tracy