[SpaceProgram] You’ve been selected as Space Apps 2016 Top 25 People’s Choice: cress.space – a growing community

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Wed May 18 15:18:47 CEST 2016

"A few were wild successes. Like the 3d printed telescope."

Open Space Agency's Ultrascope? Very pretty website. But still no complete
instructions for making your own robotically controlled telescope, from
start to finish.

"Wild success"? No, it could still fall apart. Since they've only released
the manual for the 3D printing and the laser cutting, and there are quite a
few more instruction manuals to go, it looks to me like the chances of the
project falling apart are not exactly zero.

Also, what was promised? A robotic telescope that would be significantly
cheaper than a commercial model of the same capability. That's also in
question, from what I see in the forum. The answer seems to be, if you made
large batches of parts, you'd be OK on cost per telescope. Um, but what was
the question again? Oh yeah: can you make your own robotic telescope much
cheaper than buying what's on the market?

The answer to that question is NOT, "Yes, if you make hundreds of kits,
exploiting economies of scale in parts production, then sell all but one of
the kits." Then you're running a business, in a competitive market, with no
brand power for marketing purposes, no track record as a reliable product
supplier. Good luck with that. Here's a way to cut your costs if you want
to try anyway: revise the design so that you can use standard plastic
injection molding, not 3D printing, for the plastic parts you're making in
big batches for your customers' kits. Much cheaper. Much faster. But now
you've got a kit to sell with no need for hackerspace equipment -- maybe
the buyer only needs a screwdriver. Is someone really going to invest 200+
hours in 3D printing (which for them might also require investing in a 3D
printer) when they can get a cheap kit in the mail containing
injection-molded parts, shipped to them in a fraction of the printing time?

"Wild success"? No, I'd say the jury is still out, deliberating on this
one. They've been in that room for a long time, too ....

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
K-1 bldg 3F
7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org
http://www.projectpersephone.org/

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry