[SpaceProgram] Transitioning to Google Groups

Paul Szymkowiak paulszym at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 09:21:31 CEST 2012

I've been playing with Rizzoma a bit over the past couple of weeks, and so
far the usability is pretty sucky.

I may be mis-remembering, but it seems like a step backward from the G-Wave
client before it was shut down. It's been a while since I played with one
of the Apache Wave sandboxes (e.g. http://waveinabox.net/)  but from memory
they offered a much better user experience than Rizzoma currently offers.

In any case, Rizzoma feels too immature to me at this stage to rely on it
as the backbone for our Space GAMBIT community discussion.

Another consideration, IMO , is that wave-like services offer capabilities
better suited to other tasks/ functions than a traditional group
notification or discussion tool. I think they're great for collaborative
editing (similar to the way Google docs works). Personally, I wouldn't
chose it to replace a classic mail list or a Google/ Yahoo group.

In my view, Google Groups is a reasonable choice for now. Alternatively a
(good) forum tool, or a suitable social-networking/ micro-blogging platform
(G+, identi.ca, app.net [1]) would be other reasonable candidates.

Paul

Paul Szymkowiak

[1] arguably less limitations, ethical issue and better features than
alternatives.