[SpaceProgram] NASA Lunabotics Mining Competition

cole santos cksantos85 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 18:37:27 CET 2012

Ya mining the moon is pointless until way later down the tech tree.
Aluminum, He3, oxygen. The mining strategies are way different as
well. One has gravity one doesn't. Mining on moon will have lots of
dust as well that is hell on anything that moves. If I was an
astronaut I would use a shovel for the quantities required for small
scale stuff like oxygen for habitats. Rather than surface mining we
need a tunneler. This would allow us to mine and build habitat at the
same time. Fusing the walls with a ring of CO2 lasers as you go. If
you did this on mars on a slope you could build a couple mile deep
hole. It would be easier to maintain 1 atm at the bottom. Kinda like a
mine shaft that's hot and pressurized at the bottom.