[SpaceProgram] Getting hackerspaces to space

Jerry Isdale isdale at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 20:56:49 CEST 2012

(was response to Penny-sized thrusters for microsatellites - Boing Boing)

Getting the whole hackerspace up there? Hmmm...

What we are doing so far is creating a network of hackerspaces that want to work on education/research projects relating to space and long term survival of human race.  Once funding is secured (contract in negotiation), we will kick into action.  First we get corporation running (need some Hspaces to join initial team), then we will start our Grant Process.  This will provide some funding for small projects that work towards the bigger goal(s).  And we get more funding.

So the first steps for non-initial space teams (see the proposal, etc), is to get involved with the organization.
And start thinking of (realistic) projects for grants.

I'm hopeful that contract negotiation wont take *too* much longer, but it is a US Govt grant and they have lots of i's, t's and details to check - and a few other bigger contracts in their queue.  Some of it depends on the Statement Of Work negotiation.

There are also at least two other active (and one inactive) Open Source Space initiatives we have found...
   http://mach30.org/
   http://www.starshipalliance.org/
and then this older group that is struggling ...
  http://cstart.org/

I (and hopefully at least one more initial team member) will be attending the 100 Year Starship Symposium in Houston TX next month (sept 13-16 http://symposium.100yss.org/ )  I would LOVE to meet up with other interested hackers there.

(background: the 100YSS program was our original targeted proposal. when we didnt win we were encouraged to apply under an alternative program - and won.)

Jerry Isdale
isdale at gmail.com