[SpaceProgram] Planetary Resources, Inc. Announcement

Jerry Isdale isdale at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 22:45:34 CEST 2012

Seattle, Wash. – April 24, 2012 — Planetary Resources, Inc. announced today its plan to mine Near-Earth Asteroids (NEAs) for raw materials, ranging from water to precious metals. Through the development of cost-effective exploration technologies, the company is poised to initiate prospecting missions targeting resource-rich asteroids that are easily accessible.

The press release..
  http://www.planetaryresources.com/2012/04/asteroid-mining-plans-revealed-by-planetary-resources-inc/
Their You-Tube channel (3 vids so far)
  http://www.youtube.com/user/PlanetaryResources

Reaction articles...
Sci Am..
  http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/04/24/planetary-resources-crazy-plan-to-mine-an-asteroid-may-not-be-so-crazy/
Discovery Mag/Bad Astronomy ...
  http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/04/24/breaking-private-company-does-indeed-plan-to-mine-asteroids-and-i-think-they-can-do-it/
Space.com complete coverage...
  http://www.space.com/15409-asteroid-mining-planetary-resources-complete-coverage.html

There were lots of people talking about it before, and more now.
The company attitude is pretty cool -- small teams, well funded,  Do Something!!
And some of the text sounds very much like the HSP mission statement  (current version from byLaws in process)
  "to promote open education, research and development projects at hackerspaces focusing on humanity’s survivability on earth and in space."

I hope this helps generate more interest in HSP, perhaps gaining us some advisory panel members from PRI and others ... maybe even some non-govt funding for our education and research projects.

Jerry Isdale
isdale at gmail.com