[SpaceProgram] Bylaws -- Membership

Jerry Isdale jerry at mauimakers.com
Sun Apr 22 03:34:06 CEST 2012

28 pages?!

Membership is a big area we need to discuss.  Existing text is geared towards individuals rather than organizations as members. (eg section on proxies, death, etc)

The proposal concept had some variation built into it...

Section F Organization, Ownership
 membership of the HSP organization is open to all individuals and organizations who choose to join, but strategic decision making ... is carried out by a group of Hackerspace representatives who are acknowledged by their peers to possess leadership qualities needed in the HSP organization

Structure of the HSP organization

the HSP organization, designs, directions, and bylaws are decided by a majority vote of all participating Hackerspaces on the basis of one Hackerspace, one vote. New Hackerspaces join by being voted in by majority. ... each hackerspace will elect a member to represent them on the HSP board.

=--===

Roughly, the idea was that external organizations (Hackerspaces) would petition for membership, get accepted by majority vote, and then elect a representative.

Do we allow for individuals outside of hackerspaces?
Can an individual be a member themselves, AND be a member of a member hackerspace?  Member of Multiple Hackerspaces - with votes in each?  What if an individual is elected to represent multiple spaces to HSP?

If people are to be representatives, then the spaces should have a designated Alternate if they are unavailable to attend meetings or otherwise carry out their representative duties.

Are member spaces/individuals the only ones who are eligible for HSP grants? Or can an outside individual's proposal be funded?

We need to find some example ByLaws of organizations that have representative memberships (industry organizations? chamber of commerce?)

Jerry Isdale
http://MauiMakers.com
http://www.mauimakers.com/blog/thursday-public-meeting/