[SpaceProgram] Introduction & Leightweight probes

Paul Szymkowiak paulszym+cchs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 04:00:28 CEST 2012

Hi Máté,

Great input again. Thanks :)

One comment, below

On 15 April 2012 08:23, Máté Ravasz <ravaszmeister at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I took the liberty to reply to all the ideas you raised. Here is what I
> think:
>
> [...]
>
> All in all maybe we could start by designing a palm sized closed box which
> encapsulates some organism that can stay alive for a very long time (say
> 100 years). Then as the second step, we could maybe even build it.
> Afterwards, we could use this as a basis for a space grade life box.

I'd personally be more in favour of funding projects that involve practical
exploration through prototypes.

I'd like to avoid funding any - unless it's really justifiable - projects
that intend to deliver conceptual designs alone, without even a
proven prototype implementation. So, in your example above, my inclination
would be to fund projects which aim to actually create prototype bio
capsules/ containers.

If that isn't possible, within a relatively small funding allocation or
short time frame, then a series of projects that break up prototyping the
component parts for such a system. Then as a follow on step, either build
the other required component parts, or a space-grade capsule.

Paul

Paul Szymkowiak