[SpaceProgram] HSP Project Grants: One-Shot, Multi-Phase, Continuing?

Paul Szymkowiak paulszym+cchs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 03:13:46 CEST 2012

Hi again Andreas

On 15 April 2012 Andreas Sturm <masterstorm123 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Fundings: Good ideas with innovation should be rewarded. Maybe in addition
to a very small constant money flow for >maintanance / or funding of
smaller projects / competitions.

Yes, I'd agree.

Ah, competition is a good approach:

> 10-20 teams join the competition.  Not a single penny is lost by the
> sponsors until someone wins the competition.

In general, I agree with Andy's comments. Our experience with GGHC was that
a "level playing field" of seed funding enabled a broad range of
hackerspaces to compete. Based on that experience, some initial funding to
take part in the competition seems like a better option to me.

I also agree with Andy that people will be giving potentially a lot of
their time to be involved in these projects, competitions or otherwise. I
think the least the HSP can do is cover reasonable material and other
out-of-pocket costs.

One thing I think we should aim for is a similar spirit
of friendly competition and camaraderie that was evident during GGHC. It
was fantastic to be part of.

Only one team gets the money, the others then worked for free.

I think there are potentially two different things being discussed here.

One is covering operational/ project costs, the other some form of reward -
monetary or otherwise - for the better competition entries. Personally, I
think HSP should cover - or at least equally share - basic operational
costs for projects (competitions or otherwise). I don't personally have a
problem with some prize or monetary reward for the top entries.