[SpaceProgram] HSP Project Grants: One-Shot, Multi-Phase, Continuing?

Paul Szymkowiak paulszym+cchs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 22:28:45 CEST 2012

Good email Jerry,

By default, I think Multi-Phase, graduated funding would be
my preferred best choice.
I also like Cole's idea of a competition-based funding option.

In my view, Multi-Phase could also provide for Continuing Funding, in that
we could say "You've made progress, and the project is showing promise, but
not yet enough to warrant increased funding. Here's another allocation of $X
for this cycle". If a breakthrough occurs in a subsequent cycle, we could
increase funding.

I like Cole's idea about friendly, GGHC-style competitions with specific
goals. < $US1K might be a reasonable call, although possibly some
competition-style projects might be OK with larger budgets, especially if
expensive parts are involved. Maybe for larger-budget projects, we'd need
to limit the number of accepted entries.

I wonder if there might be a way to use the competition idea for more broad
community outreach past hacker/ maker spaces: for example, possibly open to
schools (tertiary and possibly secondary). This could improve visibility of
the HSP beyond our existing community, encourage young people to get
involved, and encourage them to join a hacker/ maker space and continue
with other projects. Down the track, it might be worth talking with Dale
Doherty about whether we could have HSP do that in conjunction with Make's
school program.

I wonder if, for any funding (including competitions), whether it might be
useful and administratively easy enough to stage the funding, perhaps
splitting it in two:
 - you submit a proposal.
 - if it gets accepted, you get X% of $X to get started
 - if you meet the first milestone/ deliverable, you get the balance of $X.

My intent here is to, on the one hand, provide some funds for people to get
started and explore interesting ideas; on the other, not pour funds into
project teams who can't execute: instead channel the funds to support those
who can get things done.

This would help to save us channelling too much money into dead-end efforts. If
I recall, for the GGHC we only had around 6 or 7 of the 30 original teams
drop out completely. A few others never got their project completed within
the deadline. It's really that first category that I'm suggesting having a
control point for.

For example, with a staged funding split of say 33%/66%, e14 (GGHC) might
have saved around $3.6K (6 x $600) - in this case, roughly 13% of the
original $27K budget spent outright ($900 x 30). Alternatively, this might
allow a greater "funnel": more teams can be accepted and be involved, but
only those showing good progress get fully funded.

The downside would be the additional administrative overhead, potential
delays in transferring funds, and - if not managed well - the potential to
have that scuttle a short, time-boxed competition.

Paul

Paul Szymkowiak
http://hackmelbourne.org