[SpaceProgram] Introduction & Leightweight probes

Andreas Sturm masterstorm123 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 20:44:39 CEST 2012

Thank you for your cordial welcome!!

Project Icarus is great!!

(->Mars probe: you know this already?
http://www.petridish.org/project_inquiry    It may someday be helpful. You
post your idea and others can donate for it.)

>Meat produced by plants?! Tell me more ^_^ I've been dreaming of >perfect
>lab-grown steaks for a while ;)

Well, as I said, at the moment I'm 99% working on bioluminescene. I'm
allowed to use our university lab sometimes.

for meat production, it may be possible to see the RNA expressed in meat
tissue and copy that into Agrobacterium tumiefaciens plasmids.

One out of 20 or so plants thus transfected will show growth of meat
tissue. Just guessed the number, never worked with agrobac.t. before.
Unfortunately.

But maybe it would be better that not the entire plant is made of meat, but
its fruits (water melon with meat inside instead of the red tissue).
If you do it in a DIY / easy way, it won't probably look like a perfect
steak, rather like a mixture of apple 'meat' and cow meat. But it contains
the same proteins mixed with cellulose/sugars of the plant's fruit tissue.

On the other hand, you wouldn't need any more veggetables added, because in
the plant-meat there's already some plant inside ;)

In-situ resource utilization is surely something we should do. But it's not
the usual NASA-approach, unfortunately.

> Are you part of a local community of group of space enthusiasts?
No, unfortunately not. One friend of mine is also enthusiastic about
applied sciences (also as a hobby, he studies electrical engineering)
We'll send a helium-ballon into the stratosphere soon :)